CPLP Annual Meeting Tuesday September 19th from 2-4pm. Email us for details.
Even a small amount of lead can have a massive effect on a child’s future. The damage caused by lead poisoning can’t be treated. But it can be prevented. The Coalition to Prevent Lead Poisoning (CPLP) is committed to eliminating new cases of childhood lead poisoning through a combination of community advocacy and education on the importance of early detection and prevention. Join us to help ensure a better future for our children.
Lead is a toxin that affects the brain, heart, bones and kidneys. Because of children’s growing brains and bodies, lead poisoning has a greater impact on children than adults. Even small amounts of lead in children’s bodies can cause permanent learning and behavioral problems, often with no physical symptoms. This includes a lower IQ, hyperactivity and delinquent behavior.
Lead poisoning occurs when harmful amounts of lead are swallowed or breathed in and it doesn’t take much–less than a sugar packet worth of lead is enough to poison a child. Homes built before 1978 are at risk for containing hazardous leaded dust and paint. Lead can also be found in soil, jewelry, toys, home remedies, ceramics, candy or water.
Lead paint in homes was banned in the United States in 1978. Paint in homes built before then may contain lead. Most of the homes in the City of Rochester were built before 1978, which puts them at risk for lead hazards. Since 2004, the number of children reported with lead poisoning has been reduced by 85%.
Most European countries and League of Nations ban the use of lead paint for interior use; United States declines to adopt ban.
EPA issued regulations calling for a gradual reduction in the lead content of the total gasoline pool, which includes all grades of gasoline. The restrictions were scheduled to be implemented starting on January 1, 1975, and to extend over a five-year period.
Centers for Disease Control lowers the limit for a lead poisoned child to 30 µg/dL (micrograms per deciliter).
1,293 children age six and younger in Monroe County reported to have blood lead levels of 10 µg/dL and higher.
"Coalition to Prevent Lead Poisoning" founded in Rochester, NY.
Monroe County Department of Public Health lowers level for investigation to a blood lead level of 15 mg/dL(milligrams per deciliter) from NYS mandate of 20 mg/dL.
Implementation of City of Rochester Lead-Based Paint Poisoning Prevention Ordinance
Monroe County Dept of Public Health lowers level for investigation to a blood lead level of 10 µg/dL from NYS mandate of 15 mg/dL.
Monroe County Department of Public Health lowers level of investigation to a blood lead level of 8 mg/dL from NYS mandate of 10 µg/dL (County will investigate by request if a child living within City limits has a blood test of 5 mg/dL and above).
Centers for Disease Control lowers the limit for a lead poisoned child to 5 µg/dL.
Since 2006, the City of Rochester has inspected 141,474 individual dwellings under the Lead-Based Paint Poisoning Prevention Ordinance—95% of these dwellings have passed the visual aspect of the inspection.
Lead poisoning is untreatable, but almost entirely preventable. Learn more about how you can play a role in making your children and our community lead safe.
Have your child tested for exposure to lead. By NYS law, children must be tested at age 1 and again at 2.
Have your home professionally tested for lead if it was built before 1978.
Healthcare professionals need to make sure children are tested for exposure to lead at age 1 and again at 2 in accordance with New York State Lead Laws.
Teachers and educators often face the consequences of childhood lead poisoning in their classrooms. If you suspect lead poisoning, check your student's file to see whether there is any documentation of an elevated blood lead level.
Use Lead Safe Work Practices when doing any renovation or repair work that disturbs any painted surface.
New evidence shows that childhood lead exposure has substantial adverse effects on school suspension and juvenile detention rates.
Baby teeth from children with autism contain more toxic lead and less of the essential nutrients zinc and manganese, compared to teeth from children without autism, according to an innovative study funded by the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS), part of the National Institutes of Health.